My cat café series features a bakery and two fantastic bakers. So of course I must share recipes! The one below is perfect for people who like a little savory with their sweets. It's a nice gift for bacon-lovers who don't need a lot of stuff for the holidays. This will disappear in no time!
Bacon Nut Brittle Recipe
Crunchy, salty, smoky, savory, and sweet. This combination of flavors makes for an unusual treat! You can use whatever nuts you prefer. If someone has nut allergies, use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds instead (or a vegan "bacon" alternative). If you don't eat pork, skip the bacon and try a mixture of different nuts and seeds to provide a variety of flavors and textures.
1/2 cup bacon crumbles (buy real bacon crumbles, or cook and cool 8 slices of thick cut, smoked bacon)
1/2 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 ounces roasted salted cashews
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Cook the bacon until crispy, cool, and chop into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spray the stirring end of a large, heat-proof spoon as well.
3. In a large saucepan, combine the following: water, sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Safety Warning: The heated mixture gets very hot and sticky. Do not let it touch your skin!
4. Attach a candy thermometer to the pan. Cook the mixture over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally. Cook to 300°F (adjusted for altitude if necessary), about 10 minutes. The caramel should be the color of a paper bag. Drizzle a bit of caramel from your spoon, and it should spin out a thread.
5. Remove the pot from the heat. Carefully stir in the baking soda. This will cause the mixture to bubble.
6. Stir in the nuts, vanilla, and bacon.
7. Immediately pour the brittle onto the baking sheet. Use the back of the spoon to spread the brittle into a thin, even layer.
8. Sprinkle with the coarse salt. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
9. Break the brittle into large shards. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one month.
Coffee and Crushes at the Cat Café: A Furrever Friends Sweet Romance
Kari doesn't have time for love when she's opening her new cat café. Renovating an old restaurant, hiring employees, fighting with the health inspector – oh, and welcoming 16 shelter cats – keeps her plenty busy. She's doing this for the cats, the community, and most of all her family. The café will give her sister, Marley, a job worthy of her baking skills.
Then a tattooed military veteran wanders in claiming to be a master baker himself. The café doesn't need another baker, but maybe Marley needs a man. Surely she'll fall for a guy this sweet, this sexy, this tasty.
Colin has other ideas. It's Kari who makes him want to pour on the sugar and turn up the heat. But he's spent the last two years recovering from physical and psychological wounds. Is he really ready for a relationship? He's not even sure he should commit to Samson, the fluffy marshmallow of a cat who steals his heart.
Get this sweet romance on Amazon, or free with Kindle Unlimited.
Visit all the Book Hooks from #MFRWHooks - You might find your next great read!
writes novels of romance, mystery, and suspense. Her Furrever Friends Sweet Romance series features the employees and customers at a cat café. Watch as they fall in love with each other and shelter cats.
Kris also writes romantic suspense set in the Southwestern U.S. If you love Mary Stewart or Barbara Michaels, try Kris Bock’s stories of treasure hunting, archaeology, and intrigue in the Southwest. Sign up for Kris Bock’s newsletter for announcements of new books, sales, and more. Visit the Kris Bock website or Kris Bock’s Amazon page.