Monday, March 27, 2023

A new humorous #mystery is coming soon! The Accidental Detective #CozyMystery Book 4 #NewRelease is up for preorder now. #BookTwitter

It’s hard to chase the truth when you need a cane… 

Former international war correspondent Kate Tessler had to trade her illustrious journalism career for her childhood bedroom after a brush with death almost took her leg. But when the editor of a local newspaper asks for her help, Kate is drawn back into her old world. A journalist covering a sprawling story of political corruption may have uncovered explosive new evidence, but she was run off the road in a hit-and-run accident. Gabriella, Kate’s mentee, has been injured and can only communicate by blinking yes or no to questions. Meanwhile, another reporter is missing. 

The editor is short-staffed, with no one experienced enough to handle something this dangerous. Kate can never give up on the search for truth, so with her trusty senior sidekicks and new PI partner—her sister, Jen—Kate takes the case. Can a fifty-year-old journalist still recovering from a war injury survive the dangers of the Arizona desert long enough to catch a killer?

In the Accidental Detective humorous mystery series, a witty journalist solves mysteries in Arizona and tackles the challenges of turning fifty. Get The Accidental Detective series in print or ebook from all retailers.

“I always enjoy reading about Kate and her team of family and friends who work together to solve crimes. They might not always play by the rules, but they can solve the crimes just as good as the police. Even though this book, and the series, is a bit on the serious side with the nature of the crimes, you can still find lots of fun banter and witty dialogue in the stories.” - Janine on BookBub 

Peek at Someone Missing from Malapais Mountain: The Accidental Detective Book 4:

The doorbell rang.

I stroked Harlequin, my parents’ black and white cat, who liked to snuggle me whenever I had the heating pad on my leg. “Sorry, can’t disturb the cat.”

Jen heaved a theatrical sigh and headed for the door. We weren’t expecting anyone, so it was probably a delivery—or else Clarence, with a report on some odd crime he thought we should investigate to keep him entertained. Since I’d been home, I’d helped get three murderers arrested. Bored retired men remained the biggest danger in my life, followed by my restless sister.

I heard a woman’s voice from outside. “Kate Tessler?”

Jen stepped back and gestured toward me.

A petite woman, probably my age give or take a few years, stepped into the foyer. Her gaze landed on me and she marched forward. “April Tran, editor-in-chief of the Sun.” Her chin length black hair swung forward as she leaned over to hold out her hand.

I shook the offered hand. “Pleased to meet you. What can I do for you?” I tried to keep my demeanor professional. It would be the only professional thing about me. I wore baggy shorts and an ancient Def Leppard T-shirt with a coffee stain down the front, and my short, silver hair stuck up all over. I hadn’t bothered to shower that morning, since I wasn’t expecting to see anyone important.

April Tran couldn’t have weighed more than a hundred pounds, but she dropped down on the other end of the sofa hard enough to bounce the cushions and make Harlequin grumble.

“I need your help.” She frowned at the cat and the heating pad. “I hope you can help me.”

“If you explain what you need, I’ll let you know,” I said.

Jen quietly took her seat across the coffee table and picked up the notebook and pen she kept within reach.

“Gabriella told me about you,” April said.

Gabriella Dempsey was a reporter with the Sun. I’d done her a favor a few weeks before by giving her info about cyberbullying at a local high school. Well, technically I’d distracted her from the bigger scandal involving Todd’s political opponent and a shady developer who’d committed murder. But the cyberbullying story tied into that, and since the bigger story broke, Gabriella had been covering it as well.

“I’ve been following her reports,” I said. “She’s doing well.”

“She’ll have my job one day,” April said without heat. “At least, if she lives long enough.”

I stared. “Is that a general comment, or are you worried about her safety?”

“She was in a car accident last night,” April said. “Gabriella is in the hospital.”

“Oh no. Is she—” I wouldn’t ask if Gabriella was all right, given what April had already said. “What are her injuries?”

“Broken arm, cracked ribs, burns. She’s conscious, but between the breathing tube and the burns on her hands, she can’t really communicate.” April gulped a couple of times. “She can’t talk or write.”

I felt lightheaded. My damaged leg was bad enough. Losing the ability to speak and write was devastating, especially for a reporter.

I made myself breathe. “Do they think she’ll get better?”

April gave a shrug and half shake of her head that suggested uncertainty.

“Is that what you meant by if she lives long enough?” I asked.

“Not exactly.” April’s hands made fists on her thighs. “The accident wasn’t an accident. Someone ran her car off the road.”

Praise for Something Shady at Sunshine Haven

“This is a remarkably enjoyable start to a brand new cozy mystery series.” ~Books a Plenty Book Reviews

“A great start to a new series... Readers will enjoy this new cozy mystery and eagerly wait for more sleuthing with Kate and the Coffee Shop Irregulars!” ~Reading is my Superpower

“A great read for those who want more character development and mystery, and less romance.”

“Bock’s story offers proof positive that no one outgrows the need for more maturity and self-discovery.” ~Rebecca M Douglas, Author

“This is a fast-paced book that keeps you thinking. It’s a great jump start for this new series. I will anxiously await the second book.” ~Socrates’ Book Reviews

“Something Shady at Sunshine Haven by Kris Bock grabbed me from the first page to the last.” ~Novels Alive


Kris Bock
 writes novels of romance, mystery, and suspense. In the Accidental Detective series, a witty journalist solves mysteries in Arizona and tackles the challenges of turning fifty. This humorous series starts with Something Shady at Sunshine Haven. Kris’s Furrever Friends Sweet Romance series features the employees and customers at a cat café. Learn more at the Kris Bock websiteGet a free cat café novella, mystery stories, and more when you sign up for the Kris Bock newsletter. 

Kris also writes a series with her brother, scriptwriter Douglas J Eboch, who wrote the original screenplay for the movie Sweet Home AlabamaThe Felony Melanie series follows the crazy antics of Melanie, Jake, and their friends a decade before the events of the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment