Monday, December 2, 2019

Plumbing Problems at Christmas? A #holiday #romance from @VickiBatman


Well, stuff happens. Plumbing problems come when we least expect them. I know I’ve been there, and I’m betting many of you have as well.

So why write plumbing into a holiday story? Like most writers, I’ve been asked where I get ideas. The idea to write about a Mr. Maintenance Man and a librarian hit me. I needed some catastrophe to bring them together, and voila! Plumbing.

I’ve also been asked if some of the things I’ve written about have happened in real life. And yes, they have. In “Holiday Disaster,” I write about a lost contact. When I was a single girl, this really did happen to me, except the maintenance man was in no way like my hero. No tool belt either.

Throughout my life, I’ve experienced plumbing problems. For example, the sewer backed up in my basement the day after a wedding reception held at my house. The plumber, my real-life hero, Roger, climbed on the roof to snake the drain through the vent. I’ve had pipes freeze, and again, Roger fixed everything. I’ve had potato peelings back up in the sink, and yes, Roger rescued me.

This past summer, Handsome and I traveled to Tuscany and stayed in an old farmhouse. A huge thunderstorm blew in and stayed for a whole day, which was great for reading and stitching. Then the power went out. Okay, not so bad. I had packed a book light. However, then the truth revealed itself—no electricity equaled no plumbing because the septic pump was … powered by electricity.

So yes, real life can provide fodder for books.

Here’s a bit about “Holiday Disaster”:

Hopes and wishes and holiday kisses...Sommerville holidays.

Days before Christmas, a librarian experiences plumbing issues and visits from Mr. Maintenance Man, who isn’t nearly as jolly as Santa Claus.



Merry Christmas to me. Not really.

Wrapping my hands around the older-than-time plumbing underneath my bathroom sink, I yanked, hoping-praying-hoping the darn thing would loosen, and all would be saved. But no. Nada. Too darn tight.

Obviously, somebody more muscular than me was required to strong-arm the pipe free. My shoulders hunched with helpless feelings. I should have closed the drain stopper to prevent my contact from swirling merrily away after it popped out of my eye and flew in the sink.

Feeling helpless sucks big time, and I hate it.

Not a great way to kick off the holiday season.

I should have paid more attention when Dad donned his Mr. Fix-it hat and repaired stuff in the family homestead. Maybe I would have learned something valuable, something resembling Plumbing 101. But like most little girls, playtime was ten times more fun than hanging with Dad and repairing broken stuff.

What to do. What to do. Nothing I could do. I declared “surrender” and called the condo’s emergency number. Mr. Maintenance Man told me he was on his way. I hoped he wasn’t humoring me. Lying—my number one enemy.


Vicki Batman has sold many romantic comedy works to magazines, several publishers, and most recently, three romantic comedy mysteries. Along the way, she has picked up some awards and bestsellers. Avid Jazzerciser. Handbag lover. Mahjong player. Yoga practitioner. Movie fan. Book devourer. Chocaholic. Best Mom ever. And adores Handsome Hubby. Most days begin with her hands set to the keyboard and thinking, "What if??"

Find Vicki Batman at:
Website: http://vickibatman.blogspot.com/p/more-about-me.html/
Blog: http://www.vickibatman.blogspot.com/ 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Vicki-Batman-sassy-writer-of-sexy-and-funny-fiction-133506590074451/ 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VickiBatman/   
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vickibatman/   
Author Central: https://www.amazon.com/author/vickibatman/   
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4814608.Vicki_Batman/
Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/vicki-batman/
Instagram: vickilbatman     


I hope your holidays are disaster-free 
and may your days be Merry & Bright!

1 comment: