Wednesday, June 13, 2018

A #MFRWHooks for What We Found #Romance and #Mystery


I’ve been sharing excerpts from What We Found. See the first and second posts.

Last week I shared an excerpt from What We Found. Here's another, from a bit later in the book.

Drugs, abuse, religion. How did it all fit together? Or did they fit together? Were we missing something else much more important?

One thing was clear. Our pleasant visit had turned somber and edgy. This family had enough trouble without us making it worse. I needed time to think everything through, and Ricky seemed out of questions for the moment.

I rose. “We should get going. Thanks for the tour and the cookies.”

Ricky hesitated and then got up, too. I didn’t have to prod him to add his thanks. Mom had him well-trained in manners.

“Come back some time,” Nancy said. “Kyle can take you out on a falcon hunt.”

Ricky looked at me hopefully, so I nodded. “We’d both enjoy that, thanks.”

“Let me give you my number,” Kyle said. “Call or text me anytime. Nancy or I are out almost every day.”

By the time I’d programmed his number into my phone, Daniel had a baggie of cookies for us to take home. As we pulled out of the driveway, I said, “Those are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. One thing is certain, none of them had anything to do with the murder.” Something loosened in my chest as I said those words. Whatever the rumors about Kyle, I couldn’t believe he had intentionally hurt another person, let alone his sister.

 At the top of the hill, we headed into town. The first stoplight turned yellow ahead of me. I could almost make it, but to be safe I pressed on the brakes.

 The car didn’t slow.

 I pushed my foot to the floor. My heart stuttered as I clutched the steering wheel and pressed back into my seat. A big white truck sat at the crossroads, ready to pull out into the intersection. We slowed a little since I wasn’t on the gas, but the car wasn’t stopping.

 The light turned red as we hit the edge of the intersection. The white truck started forward.

 I jerked my hand from the steering wheel rim and slammed it hard against the center. The horn blared.

 The white truck loomed in the passenger-side window. Heading right for Ricky.

I jerked the wheel hard to the left. My car swung erratically across the intersection, throwing me to the right. The seat belt scraped against my left shoulder, and I almost lost control of the wheel. An oncoming car I hadn’t even noticed jerked to a stop with a screech of tires.

The scene outside the window swam crazily, a blur of color and motion. We bumped off the road onto the sloping gravel alongside. The car tilted and tree branches slapped the windshield. If we rolled, Ricky’s side would hit first. If we hit the trees, his side would take the most damage.



What We Found

Finding a dead body changes a person.

22-year-old Audra Needham is back in her small New Mexico hometown, ready to work hard, fit in, and help her younger brother. Going for a walk in the woods with her former crush, Jay, seems like a harmless distraction … until they stumble on a body.

Jay, who has secrets of his own to protect, insists they walk away and keep quiet. But Audra can't simply forget what she's seen. The woman needs to be found, and her story deserves to be told.

More than one person isn't happy about Audra bringing a crime to life. The dead woman was murdered, and Audra could be next on the vengeful killer's list. She’ll have to stand up for herself in order to stand up for the murder victim. It’s a risk, and so is reaching out to the mysterious young man who works with deadly birds of prey. With her 12-year-old brother determined to play detective, and romance budding in the last place she expected, Audra learns that some risks are worth taking – no matter the danger, to her body or her heart.

Praise for What We Found:
“Another action-packed suspense novel by Kris Bock, perhaps her best to-date. The author weaves an intriguing tale with appealing characters. Watching Audra, the main character, evolve into an emotionally-mature and independent young woman is gratifying.” – Ellen R.

“This book had me guessing to the end who was the murderer. Well written characters drive the story. Good romance. Exceptional and believable plot twists and turns. I loved it! I recommend this book highly.” – Suzanne B.

“This is a nonstop suspense. Love the characters and how real they seem with every episode played out. This is a love story and suspense all in one.” – Pam

Learn about the true experience that inspired What We Found.

Sample or buy What We Found on Amazon.

Visit all the Book Hooks from #MFRWHooks - 
You might find your next great read! 



1 comment: